Saturday, June 12, 2010

PUNK

As the warm weather has come upon and the ritual of shedding clothes I have noticed that there is a growing trend of one of my favorite looks.  A resurgence of punk look has been growing in NYC.  I've noticed it this past winter. Opening ceremony is now selling Manic Panic hair dye and keds in neon colors to match.  Doc Martens can be seen all over the city, even on some really hot days.  In some ways I think its from the lack of creativity and political/social move due to the economy.  Well, I to have been going back to my roots of 1994 grunge/punk.  I've been wearing more black, flannel plaids, ripped tights, skull jewelry and wanting to dye my hair a rainbow of color.  Even shaving my head just to make a statement.

It's not just a young and new generation of kids just beginning to listen to the Clash or Sex Pistols.  There's an older generation getting back to their roots and real voices. It could always be nostalgic for a younger, more exuberant time. As take all the images of people passing by me in their idea of punk doc martens, dyed hair, ripped clothing, partially shaved heads etc. there's a beauty and elegance to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment