Saturday, June 5, 2010

Brooklyn vs. Manhattan

I know I haven't posted in a bit...just been busy with life.  Anyway, during the memorial day weekend I went out to Brooklyn to view their fashion exhibit and compare it to the Met's American Fashion exhibit.  Before I compare and contrast, I'll give my review of each.

1-The Met

I was super excited to see this exhibit with the recent press and it's been a year since any fashion was on view at the Met.  Well, I waled through a replica of the Washington Arch and I'm brought back to another time.  The exhibit is divided into 5 archetypes of American Women. You start in 1890 with the "Heiress."  The gowns are nice not something exquisite.  I found a corset that was ill fitting on the mannequin, which is unacceptable at such an institution. Then it moves onto the "Gibson Girl," which wasn't overly interesting either.  I was surprised by the fact that most of the garments in the beginning of  the show that the designer's were unknown. The highlight of the was the "Bohemian."  The beading on the garments were amazing. Next up the Suffragists, clothing pretty boring but women's rights are important. "Screen sirens" are up next on this path.  Hollywood glamour is there, but just beware of the people watching the movies clips instead of looking at the clothes. Then your brought into a room filled with a video clips of women from the 1940s to the present.  It's a cop out of a finale.  The exhibit is to short compared to one's in the past ans not well curated.  I was very disappointed at the MET for such a lackluster exhibit.

2-Brooklyn Museum

Trekking to BK is a pain but I really wanted to see this exhibit. First, the exhibit was a little hard to find (it's behind the Kiki Smith exhibit on the Feminist art floor), it's not right out in front.  The exhibit is entitled "High Style."  It moves in chronological order also, starting with Charles Fredrick Worth and moves on from couture to American sportswear as we know it today.  The exhibit time line stops at 1970  if I remember correctly. It was exciting to see Clair McCardell and Bonnie Cashin on exhibit.  There were tons of shoes and accessories on exhibit. Elisa Schapprelli had a her own area.  There were Russian headdresses, which were so ornate and beautiful.  The exhibit was well planned out and moved on a nice pace, plus the garments were situated in such a way that details were easily observed. There was no dim lighting either. The exhibit was busy for the holiday weekend, but no where  like the MET.  I was pleasantly surprised and can't wait to go back and examine it again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment