Monday, June 21, 2010

Africana

Today I was watching the World Cup, which is taking place in South Africa, something dawned on me.  I've been really inspired by Africa.  Recently, I saw Invictis and was captivated by country and the people. Also, I've been wanting to check out Fela! on Broadway.  Part of it to has been my recent selection of reading materials, which have included Melville, Kelly Cutrone's book, and Woolf.  In Kelly Cutrone's book she talks about finding your tribe and tribal council.  This coupled with the World Cup has made me want to explore the different tribes of Africa, mostly for their culture and clothing.

With the increase popularity of clothing brand Suno there might be a trend of more companies looking to Africa for inspiration and production.  I think this would be great for a country so overlooked.  As a continent, culture and customs deeply rooted in family and survival just like the diamonds rooted in the mines.

No comments:

Post a Comment