Monday, March 1, 2010

Man Ray

Last week I headed uptown to the Jewish museum to see the Man Ray exhibit.  First, of all it's free on saturdays, which is Awesome!! Security on the other hand is tighter than the MET, which is strange since it's a smaller museum.  Anyway, the exhibit was quite extensive and I learned a lot about a Man Ray I did not know.  I always associated him with Dada and photography, with a slight bent for surrealism.  I feel his early work is where he is finding his true calling as an artist.  He tried to fit in with his peers but his work is just an exercise in mimic. Once he finds himself with the camera and silver gelatin as a medium it is pure perfection.  For free the exhibit is worth it, if I had to pay it would just be ok.  They had some of his most famous works, but failed in comparison to MoMa and their Dada exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment