Sunday, April 11, 2010

Friday Art Night

So last night I decided to Art hop, kinda like bar hoping but instead fulling up on culture.

Stop 1: Madison Square Park/ Flatiron district

The Event Horizon exhibit by Antony Gormley.  It's not really an exhibit but more of an experience.  He has placed sculptures of male figure on the ground and a top of various buildings in the area.  As you walk around the park it reminds one to look up and enjoy the different views. Below is the intentions of the artist: "I'm thrilled to be working with New York: people and place," says artist Antony Gormley, "I don't know what is going to happen, what it will look and feel like, but I want to play with the city and people's perceptions. My intention is to get the sculptures as close to the edge of the buildings as possible. The field of the installation should have no defining boundary. The gaze is the principle dynamic of the work; the idea of looking and finding, or looking and seeking, and in the process perhaps re-assessing your own position in the world. So in encountering these peripheral things, perhaps one becomes aware of one's status of embedment."


Stop 2: MoMa book/design store


On a whim bought a $60 book on Fashionable Technology.  So far its a good and interesting read. Basicly it was a lay over till the American Folk Art museum became free at 5:30, plus MoMA was super packed with tourists couldn't bear to be with that many people and try to enjoy art.


Stop 3: American Folk Art Museum 


This is like a hidden gem of art museum's in the city. It's not very large, but it feels warm and inviting.  I went to view the Approaching Abstraction.  I'm not the biggest fan of folk art but I do try to expose myself to everything.  Most of it was good, nothing super exceptional.  The pieces that stand out the most were ones using graph paper and india ink by Domenico Zindato, Martin Thompson, Hiroyuki Doi, and Eugene Von Bruenchenheir. I would recommend only if you like folk art.  The Only Women exhibit was a bit lighter and a little more interesting but not by much.  It was mostly quilting work.  


Stop 4: The Morgan Library 


Ok it's 7 pm and I just walked into the Morgan.  I was in awe of what it looked like from the inside.  I've passed the Museum tons of time and have always wondered what it looked like inside.  Well I found and it just couldn't believe it.  Renzo Piano had worked on the redesign of parts of the museum and it was light and ethereal.  The big exhibit was the Illuminated Texts of Catherine of Cleves. It was quite interesting, but it did not compare to it's surroundings.  I felt as if I was transported back to Italy once I stepped into Mr. Morgan's study and library.  The ceilings had paintings similar to the sistine chapel.  I thought I was in a dream. It's one of my new favorite places in nyc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment